Senate Bill 1248 and House Bill 0943 are virtually a complete new set of rules for alimony and here are a few items that you may want to read about (from the Senate Bill).
- No permanent alimony
- A cap for alimony and child support based on the percentage of the net income of the paying party (with child support reduced if exceeds cap)
- Equal time sharing presumption
- New supportive relationship definition which does not require cohabitation
- Modification or termination on retirement (new rules)
- Temporary suspension of alimony payment in some modification actions
- Prevailing party fees if a party unreasonably pursues or defends a modification action
- Effective date October 1, 2015 for all pending modification petitions and for all alimony petitions filed after.